Tuesday 8 October 2013

Me time


Happy Tuesday everybody!


So who has had some "me time" in this last week? Spent some time on their own with themselves, hobbies or in their favourite "me time" place...no jobs , no chores, no responsibilities....

So I'm not the only one then who has a mere shadow of a memory from when they had time to themselves last month, last summer or last year even...?

This weekend I sat down and wrote out a chart of our weekly activities, jobs & chores.

Now that munchkin no.1 is at school, we seem to have more to do than ever. There's the reading, phonics practice, writing practice, collages about this or that, after school clubs, swimming lessons, friends back for tea, mountains of school uniform washing... how did I ever think I would have more time once he was at school full time?

I don't know which is worse for loosing out on "me time": working mums who are always juggling jobs and home, or "stay at home" mums who are always at home surrounded by toys and an untidy house ,and feel they should be doing spectacular activities with their munckins and hosting super coffee mornings for others?


What I do know is that "me time" is important. You cannot be on call 24/7 without stress accumulating. If we are to give kids/work/partners the best of ourselves, we need time to rejuvenate, be at peace with ourselves, unwind and nurture our souls.



The Oxford dictionary describes "me time" as:

'time spent relaxing on one’s own as opposed to working or doing things for others, seen as an opportunity to reduce stress or restore energy'



so why do we feel so bad about taking time out? 


There's the perception that we are lazy, selfish, have our priorities wrong. Or maybe we don't take "me time" because we don't like ourselves very much? 


I am challenging us to schedule "me time" each week, even everyday, what? yes everyday. In order to look after ourselves and cherish ourselves. In my weekly planner I referred to earlier on, I have scheduled me time 5 days a week. It ranges from half hour slots during a nap time, or an hour in the evening when the kids have gone to bed. 

A couple of days after starting this i feel the benefit already. My jobs /housework time is more productive, and when the stresses and strains of the week come upon me i always have in the back of my mind the next "me time" is coming soon. The next step is to encourage hubby to do the same...perhaps take it in turns to play with the kids for an hour at the weekend before we go out for the day as a family.



What to do in "me time"?



Well, it takes a bit of practice, but there's a few things I like to do .

1. Knitting for myself
2. Scrapbooking
3.Reading
4. Theres a spot by the sea I like to drive to and sit and look at the waves. 
5. Having a costa hot chocolate in the supemarket cafe.
6. Meditation
7. Taking photographs

Cherish yourselves this week by planning time to do your jobs AND have "me time". It can be done!





What others say about "me time":

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.”
― Marilyn Monroe


Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
― Gautama Buddha



“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.”

― Dalai Lama XIV



"It's often said that a mum is the engine room of the family. But even if she's running on Duracell batteries, she can't survive at optimum levels if she doesn't have a bit of time to herself"
-Daily Telegraph Nov 2008

what do you like to do for "me time"? 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a message, i love to hear from you x